Sewing is not just for adults anymore! Kids can also explore this craft from the best kids sewing machines.
In fact, for a long time now, children of all ages have taken an interest in sewing. Whether they’re making doll clothes, creating their own clothes, or just doing fun craft projects, budding seamstresses are on the rise.
And, believe it or not, there are actually best kids sewing machines that are designed specifically for them or that at least work well for them.
If you have a child who loves to sew or you’re trying to foster a love for sewing in your child, we highly recommend getting the child his or her own sewing machine. In fact, we’ll even help you find the right one by detailing the best kids sewing machine options currently on the market.
How We Chose The Best Kids Sewing Machines
Before we dive in and give you our rundown on the best kids sewing machines, you may be wondering how we arrived at our opinion.
You can rest assured that we didn’t just pull our thoughts out of the air. We’re also not trying to sell you any particular product.
Instead, we spend hours of research looking into different machines. We pay attention to things like brand and brand history, customer reviews and complaints, and market data.
We carefully study and compile all of this information to determine what the best kids sewing machine options are.
So, when we give you our opinion, it’s a real, researched one. Also, we promise that we give you our opinion with no ulterior motives in mind. Our only goal is to help you choose the very best machine to match your needs and purposes.
SINGER | Simple 3232 Portable Sewing Machine with 32 Built-In Stitches Including 19 Decorative Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader and Free Arm, Best Sewing Machine for Beginners
- SINGER PORTABLE SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 3232 portable sewing machine features 32 built-in stitches, a built-in 1-step buttonhole, built-in needle threader and a heavy-duty metal frame making sewing creative projects fun and easy
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye in seconds. The built-in needle threader helps you thread the eye of the needle effortlessly
- SEWING SPEED: The SINGER 3232 sewing machine has a maximum speed of 750 stitches-per-minute, so larger projects can be sewn quickly
- HIGH PRESSER FOOT LIFTER: The SINGER Simple 3232 sews several layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be raised to a higher position for easy positioning of your project
- AUTOMATIC REVERSE SEWING MACHINE: Push the conveniently located automatic reverse button to sew in reverse and reinforce the stitching
Singer has long been a “big brand” in the sewing world, so it’s great that it now makes a product designed specifically for beginners and that is super kid friendly. Now, your child can know the beauty and ease of working with a Singer machine.
And, there certainly is a lot to love about this machine. For starters, it has 32 built in stitches that make it super easy to use. It also has a one-step buttonhole feature and a needle threader. Basically, all of the hardest parts of sewing- the ones kids struggle with the most- are made super easy by this machine.
And, don’t let the “kid friendly” design fool you. This machine is actually very strong, sturdy, and durable. It may be a machine geared toward kids, but it will operate and last just like a higher end adult model.
This machine can also reach some pretty high speeds, which is great since it allows the machine to “grow” with your child. The machine can reach a whopping speed of 750 stitches per minute.
Other features that we really like are the high presser foot lifter, the automatic reverse button for reinforcing stitching, and the 25 year warranty that you’ll get with most retailers. Just keep in mind that warranties can vary depending on where you buy, so you’ll want to make sure you know what warranty you’re getting before you make your purchase.
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- 25 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: The XM2701 comes with a 25 year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
Just as Singer is a “big name” in the sewing machine industry, the same goes for Brother. And, you can introduce your kids to this brand with the Brother XM 2701.
Just like the Singer model mentioned above, it has built-in stitches, 27 of them to be exact. We love that these stitches are diverse too, many of them different than what you’ll find in your standard kids’ machine. Your kids will enjoy a zigzag stitch, a decorative stitch, a blind hem stitch, and so much more.
There is also a one-step button hole feature that allows kids to create buttonholes with just the push of a button.
And, if your children need a little extra help using the machine, don’t worry. There’s a great, easy to follow, and highly detailed instructional manual. Plus, you’ll even get a nice DVD with instructions and ideas.
This really is a great machine all around, and the only thing that kept it from ranking higher on our list is the fact that we found the foot pedal a little on the sensitive side and somewhat difficult to operate.
- A real working (B/O) sewing machine, with pedal for hands-free sewing
- To design and sew trendy fashion outfits for the mannequins
- An inspirational line of up-to-date cool activity for the crafty tweens and teens
- Includes 6 mannequins, colorful fabrics and threads, gemstones, fashion templates, and step-by-step color-printed instructions booklet
- Ages: 8 and older.
If the child in your life is a true sewing beginner, then this machine, which is part toy and part real machine, may be just the right thing.
It is somewhat limited in what it can do, meaning that your child might outgrow it quickly. However, you can use it to create six different projects, though the creative design possibilities are limitless for kids with big imaginations.
The kit comes with a lot of extras to make sewing exciting for the little ones. You’ll enjoy lots of different types of fabric, ribbons, buttons, and more great accessories too. These include a measuring tape, pins, thread spools, scissors, and even mannequins to help make clothing creation easier.
Kids will also love the sketchbook and gemstones that allow them to create youthful designs. All in all, this is a perfect, fun gift to help introduce a child to the world of sewing and design.
Janome MOD-15 Easy-to-Use Sewing Machine with 15 Stitches, Adjustable Stitch Length and 5-Piece Feed Dogs
- Janome Easy-to-Use Basic Sewing Machine with 15 Stitches including 1 Four-Step Buttonhole
- Easy Threading with automatic tension
- Top Loading Bobbin with Clear Cover and 5-Piece Feed Dog System
- Adjustable Stitch Length and ZigZag Width and 4 Presser Feet
- Free Arm, Drop Feed, 25-Year Limited Warranty
What better way to make a kid love sewing than to create a kids sewing machine with their favorite character on it?
That’s the idea behind the Janome Hello Kitty machine, which is just so adorable you may be tempted to get one for yourself.
And, while this machine may be on the “cutesy” side, it actually does some serious sewing business. It has 15 built in stitches, a buttonhole feature, and a whole lot more to make sewing fun and easy.
This machine is also a lot stronger and sturdier than you might expect. Plus, it allows you to do things like adjust the stitch length. With four presser feet and lots of great accessories, this machine is a super fun way to start sewing and to develop a passion for it that will last a lifetime.
- Heavy duty metal frame ensures that the machine remains Still for skip-free sewing
- Stainless steel bedplate provides smooth fabric feed for even sewing
- Made in China
- Amps:0.6. Volts - 110
We already mentioned how great the Singer brand is, so it shouldn’t surprise you that another offering from Singer made its way onto our list.
We love this machine for a lot of reasons, but we are particularly fond of the super easy threading system. Threading is one of the most difficult and dreaded parts of sewing, but all the hard work goes away with this machine. It even features clear instructions printed on the side for extra help and guidance.
It’s also nice that, once kids buy the machine, they have access to free online classes that can teach them how to do everything from change needles to sew seams to attach zippers. If kids take advantage of this resource, they can become champion sewers in no time.
We also like the preset stitch width and length and all the great accessories, which include a darning plate, needles, a needle plate screwdriver, a seam ripper, and more.
Our only qualm about this machine is the fact that it can be a little on the noisy side, and it also tends to vibrate with use. However, it’s still a pretty great machine for little ones.
- Battery-operated sewing machine.
- Includes 3 spools of thread, measuring tape, plastic needle, and needle threaded.
- Equipped with working lights, spool compartment, and foot pedal.
- Protective needle cover to protect those little fingers.
- Officially licensed by singer.
Okay, let us be the first to say that this machine is super cute. We know looks don’t mean much as far as sewing machines go, but every kid will love the colorful, flowered design of this machine.
It also comes with some awesome accessories, perfect for young beginners. These include a needle threader, a measuring tape, and several spools of thread.
We also really like that the needle is covered to protect kids from getting hurt while sewing.
This is a lightweight machine, so you will want to use it with care. All in all, though, it’s definitely a nice option for the kids.
- Good for beginners and different speeds to ensure the safety
- Please ensure the direction of the needle and the winding is fluent before sewing
- Size:10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2 inches. Please be sure to read the instructions carefully before operating this machine!
- Lightweight, portable and space-saving, light bulb for work space illumination, sew with DC 6V or battery with foot pedal
- Multi-purpose sewing machine with 12 built-in stitch patterns, perfect for many home sewing projects such as altering and creating clothing, crafting, quilting, home decor and more
If you have a child who loves the color pink, then this sewing machine from Nex is sure to delight.
It can operate at all different speeds, including slow and safe ones for the youngest of children.
It is also lightweight and easy to move around, so your kids can take it with them when you travel or play with it in any room of the house without hassle.
There’s a nice light bulb to make seeing sewing projects easier, and there’s a foot pedal option, as well as a battery option.
Kids will enjoy the 12 built-in stitch patterns, and, of course, all of the pretty pink touches.
Janome Fastlane Fuschia Basic, Easy-to-Use, 10-Stitch Portable, Compact Sewing Machine with Free Arm only 5 pounds
- Portable, Compact Sewing Machine Perfect for beginners, alterations and sewing on the go
- 10 Built-In Stitches including straight, zigzag, crescent with two needle positions
- Free Arm, Accessory Storage, Easy Reverse and only five pounds
- Threading Diagrams & Top Drop-In Bobbin with clear cover makes for easy set-up
- Presser Foot with Finger Guard protects little fingers
If you are short on space but still want to introduce your child to the world of sewing, this cute little option from Janome will do the trick.
Brightly colored and weighing in at only five pounds, this machine is great for even the youngest of kids. It even comes with a covered needle to protect the littlest little ones.
Despite its small size, this machine does pack a pretty powerful punch. It can be used on all kids of fabrics, including chiffon, knits, and even denim.
It’s also so easily portable that kids can carry it anywhere, especially to sewing classes.
It features an accessory tray and an adjustable tension control dial too. We did have a few issues with the bobbin sometimes not picking up, but, for the most part, this machine worked great, and you can’t beat the low price tag. Just be sure to shop around to get the best deal.
For those who want a sewing machine that looks a little more “gender neutral” than many of the kids’ models on the market, this one is just perfect.
With a red and blue design, it will appeal to kids of all genders. It also has a working needle, thread, and food pedal for easy use.
However, it is designed specifically for kids, so it’s a little on the small and compact side, but perfect for little fingers. Kids will enjoy the needle threader, included thread, light, and spool storage.
And, don’t worry moms and dads. The needle is covered for your child’s protection.
- Sewing has never been sooo easy with Sew Cool the threadless Sewing Studio.
- Simple to use! No thread, no foot pedal, no bobbins to wind, no needles to thread.
- No skills required, just turn on, push the button and start creating 1 of 9 included projects.
- Create stuffed characters, purses, pouches, pencil case and more!
- Includes: 1 Sew Cool Sewing Machine, 8 Sheets of Sew Cool Fabric, 3 Sew Cool Pre Cut Featured Projects, 1 Sew Cool Strap, 14 Pre-Cute Decorative Pieces, 8 Plastic Buttons, 1 Bag of Loose Stuffing, 1 Instruction Guide for Machine and 6 extra projects
Finally, we just had to include this super fun machine at the top of our list.
We love the fun, red design that appeals to both boys and girls. Plus, it’s the only machine we found that comes with precut shapes to help create purses, clothes, and so much more that kids will love.
It even comes with everything your child will need to create nine different projects that build basic skills. In that regard, this machine is sort of like a sewing machine and a sewing teacher all in one.
There is no need for threading this machine, and kids also don’t have to worry about bobbins. Thus, while children might outgrow this machine relatively quickly, it’s perfect for the true beginner who needs to learn some basic skills.
As you can see, there are all kinds of best kids sewing machines on the market today. Our advice is to read through your choices, check them out for yourself, and do your own research to find which one is right for you.
Of course, you aren’t limited to just our list either. There are many great kids’ machines on the market today, and we only had space for ten!
Just think about what you want and need in a machine for your kids, what safety features exist to keep them protected while sewing, and then go from there. You should be able to find a great machine to please your little ones in no time at all!